Peter Stefanyi has been part of Erickson Coaching International since 2008 and is a business partner for Erickson Coaching in Slovakia. Peter is fascinated by observing the mind exploring itself and reflecting on the universe in all its complexity and unity. He has a PhD in Physics and spent 12 years doing research studying quantum phenomena at very low temperatures at Universities in Europe. He runs a successful executive search and personnel services agency with over 175 employees and spent 17 years on board level corporate and entrepreneurial positions. His specialty has been unbiased, reality-based decision making, and change management.
Fostering Global Change - The World Game 2019
There has never been a more interesting and fascinating time to live in. With the advancement of technology, science, communication, and overall economic progress, we are by far the most privileged and comfortable that a human being has ever been.
But it all comes at a cost and today's individuals and businesses are faced with a very new reality that needs to be addressed immediately. The challenges of today need our attention with a new approach for both individuals and businesses to survive and thrive, all while making the world a sustainable environment for us all to live in and function comfortably.
How can we, as coaches, generate the vision, leadership, and genius to awaken our generation?
The World Game is a movement to create a world consciousness tipping point and address the challenges of the 21st Century. Everyone is invited to play and the movement is intended to spark passion for helping others while sharing inspiration, hope, and positivity. Started by Solution-Focused coaches, The World Game has the power to become much bigger! If everyone plays, humanity wins.
On April 12-20, 2019, coaches from all over the globe will assemble in Antalya, Turkey to reflect on our expansive role and intentions as leaders and coaches in the world of international coaching development. This will be one of the most significant conferences for coaches of our time.
Why should I attend The World Game Conference?
First, let's look at the world around us. Most people by now would agree that we have a serious situation around us with a host of global issues. So we might agree on the importance of topics like global warming, deforestation, depletion of global resources (especially in the seas), extinction of various life forms, soil erosion, and deposits of plastics in the seas for example. However, traditional problem-solving methods do not work any longer, because our world has become increasingly complex and interconnected. Such complex systems do not have well-defined cause and effect structure. Hence, there are no well-defined solutions either and on top of it, the systems are changing rapidly. If traditional problem solving is attempted, unintended consequences start creeping in, resulting in even bigger problems replacing the original problem which got solved.
However, we need to dig deeper and uncover the root causes of present-day problems before we can even contemplate ways of finding effective solutions. When we look for root causes, we might come to the following:
- The exponential growth of humans since the beginning of the industrial age has led to a total global population of 7.6 billion, as of May 2018, currently growing exponentially with a rate of 1.09 %/p.a. [source: Wikipedia]
- By the year 2100, the estimated number of people will by 11.2 billion [Source: Wikipedia]
- Humans as all carbon-based life need external energy to run and to operate daily life. Mainly, we use mainly a combination of solar high energy photons accumulated by plants on an ongoing basis combined with fossil fuels accumulated by Earth in the past. Every person is a consumer of energy although with various rates. The consumption of energy especially in its fossil forms causes the release of CO2 at rates which contribute in some way to global warming with its consequences on humans, as well as on any living eco-system
- It has been pointed out that we collectively use more resources of Earth than are provided by Earth on a sustainable basis [source: Earth Overshoot Day]
- Humans, at the number of 7.6 billion, presently use 1.7 times the resources of Earth
- However, there are big differences in the use of resources between countries. For example, one average American uses as much energy as 2 Japanese, 6 Mexicans, 13 Chinese, 31 Indians or 370 Ethiopians [source: Washington State University]
- If every person on this planet used as many resources as an average US citizen uses we would need almost 5 times the Earth's resources
On the results/effects side of the equation, overpopulation, as documented above, leads to serious disconnects and paradoxes permeating all aspects of our life. Some of the paradoxes are well described in Otto Scharmer's book Leading from the Emerging Future:
- The paradox of infinite growth demanded by current economic theory vs depletion of all types of finite resources of our Earth and accumulation of unwanted waste
- Income disparities with extreme wealth on one side vs. extreme poverty
- Financial bubble of speculative money flows vs real economy
- Systemic void of leadership vs the needs of people with a shared sense of creating results that nobody wants
- A disconnect between Gross Domestic Product (GDP) as a measure and real well being of people
- A disconnect between governance vs voicelessness and inability to influence the system. E.g. farmers in India losing rights to seeds to Monsanto, leading to loss of trust in the governance system
- The divide between the actual ownership and best societal use of resources in which state and private ownership allow the tragedy of Commons of huge proportions
- The disconnect between technology and the real needs of people, e.g. pharmaceutical companies serving the needs on the top while ignoring the needs of those on the bottom
We can either give in to this situation and become depressed or cynical, or we can decide that we can do something about it.
Just imagine that we ALL wake up tomorrow with increased awareness of the situation and get together with the intention to find ways out of the present predicaments of Humanity on this planet. How would that be? How would that look like?
We do not even have to wake up ALL of us to this awareness. If a certain percentage of people does acquire such awareness, combined with resolve, a Solution-Focused approach, and novel ways to tackle the issues, then change would be inevitable.
The question for us coaches is: What could be the best ways for us coaches to instil and foster such change?
Some possible answers might be:
- To become a next-level, Solution-Focused coach
- To become a coach for the 21st Century – equipped to coach in the broadest of contexts with a focus on best outcomes for ALL, not only for the client, with the methodology to tackle complexity in self, clients and society
Just imagine that ALL coaches find the courage to wake up to the awareness to become role models and to begin coaching from a global perspective to the benefit of all.
Things would begin to change, right?
Become a Solution-Focused World Game Coach
Discover more about the 2019 World Game Conference in Antalya, Turkey