Marilyn Atkinson is the Founder of Erickson Coaching International and originator of the Solution-Focused Coaching methodology. A former Registered Organizational Psychologist, Marilyn is an NLP Master Trainer and specialist in Ericksonian Communications. Since 1980s she has been helping leading global companies and leaders through Solution- Focused and Outcome-Oriented Coaching. Marilyn has co-authored three books in "The Art & Science of Coaching" Trilogy (Inner Dynamics of Coaching, Step-by-Step Coaching & The Flow of Coaching).
Is Coaching Your Calling?
As coaches, we hold a space for our clients to explore their ideas and the vision they ideally desire for themselves. We are curious about what is important to them and how their values can support this vision. We ask them to acknowledge their unique set of skills, and how this might help them give life to a truly gratifying future. This is all the more satisfying when you, the coach, have taken the time for your own self-discovery.
If you want to coach others, then first assess your own life satisfaction. It is fascinating to consider how each of us finds a path in life that we travel year after year that may (or may not) support us in living a life of passion, fulfillment, and significance in the way we would like.
As you engage your coaching journey, take a few moments for some useful self-assessment. Ask yourself, "How satisfying, fulfilling, and rewarding is the path I travel? How many mysteries do I discover each day?"
Discovering Your Passion, Purpose or Calling
- How much do you consider the sort of person you are being in every moment?
- How powerfully do you show up every day? Are you being your authentic self?
- Are you aware of the conscious or unconscious values and beliefs guiding you as you choose your thoughts and actions?
- Do you clearly assess how well they work or don't work?
- If life is a game, how are you currently playing it?
- Do you have a passionate purpose, a calling?
Are You Living It Fully?
- How often are you focusing your mind on being who you want to be, doing what truly inspires you, or experiencing the results that you know you can produce?
- How much do your daily actions align with who you really are?
- How much do you fully engage and enjoy each moment, no matter where you are or what you are doing?
Whatever your life looks like for you, the answers to these questions define how powerfully you play the game of life. In turn, this has an impact on how much you have to offer other people as a transformational communicator.
Enjoy pondering these questions and appreciate the life that you are creating all around you. It will add greatly to your own vision and commitment as a coach.