Barry Switnicki has been part of the Erickson team since 2007. He not only teaches The Art & Science of Coaching Modules I - V, he is also a member of the Erickson International Mentor Team. He has taught coaching and other programs on five continents, in six languages and teaches online. He has trained and mentored thousands of coaches both for Erickson Coaching International and privately. Barry also develops and teaches graduate-level programs for coaches and leaders.
Barry has been coaching professionally since 1996 and is both certified by Erickson Coaching International, accredited by the International Coach Federation (MCC), Centre for Credentialing and Education (Bcc) and as a Master Business and Life Coach in the Peoples Republic of China. He is a Neuro Linguistic Programming Practitioner, and Interest-Based Mediator and Negotiator.
His passion is supporting exceptional individuals in transforming their lives and steadily raising their performance thresholds even when overcoming deeply rooted long-term issues. His specialty is working with change and conflict often in extreme or hostile situations in small and large groups. Barry has coached individuals, families and groups with corporate, professional and personal challenges in more than five different languages (via interpreter) and a multitude of cultures. In addition to his international coaching practice, he works with corporations, groups and communities creating coaching cultures.
As an educator, Barry has been teaching, developing educational programs and mentoring for over 30 years not only in the Human Service and Education sectors, but also in more concrete areas such as Emergency Services, trades, and sciences. He draws on an extremely diverse background that includes being a Deputy Fire Chief, Journeyman Electrician, Youth Worker, Youth and Family Mediator, both a middle and upper-level manager in government, his ten years of non-profit experience and 20 years of entrepreneurial experience. Barry’s personal passions are his wife Kim, son Joshua, kayaking, rock climbing, gardening and giving back to his community with the Royal Canadian Marine Search and Rescue.
His personal mission is to support people to become more engaged in their life, their community, their country, their world. He also has a life purpose to integrate Solution-Focused coaching cultures into educational course design and delivery.
- Masters of Education in Educational Leadership with a focus on integrating coaching into education (Vancouver Island University)
- Post-graduate Diploma in Online Learning and Teaching (Vancouver Island University)
- Master Certified Coach (ICF)
- Board Certified Coach (Center for Credentialing Excellence)
- Master Certified Life and Business Coach (PRC)
- Erickson Certified Professional Coach (Erickson Coaching International)
- Neural Linguistic Programming Practitioner (Erickson Coaching International)
- Certified Mediator and Negotiator (Justice Institute of British Columbia)
- Certificate in Advanced Clinical Supervision in Psychology (University of Calgary)
- Restorative Justice Facilitator and Trainer (Mt Arrowsmith Restorative Justice Society)
- Children Who Witness Violence Facilitator (BC Yukon Society of Transition Houses)
In addition, Barry also has training in Expressive Therapies, Family Risk Assessments, Solution Focused Brief Therapy, Sexual Attitude Reassessment, Working with Clients with Post-Traumatic Stress, Working with Sexually Exploited and Traumatized Youth and Adults, Effect of Trauma and Non-Attachment on Children.